Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Marina's email to me, translated

"Dear Little Emma! From all my soul I congratulate you on your "of ageness" (21 years!) You earlier were intelligent and wise, but now it's official! I congratulate your parents, that they brought up such an amazing daughter! Thanks to the invitation of your mother, if God will someday grant me, I will come. You know, you also always will be a wished guest in my home in Moscow. 
I understand you, it will not be easy when your boyfriend is a seaman, however you will not just one time in life in this manner clash (with him)- men are often inclined to be obstinate like donkeys (this is a type of little horse but with long ears who croaks "ii-oh, ii-oh")."
It goes on to discuss her dog's stroke and recovery, as well as the improving weather in moscow.

2 comments:

  1. I especially enjoyed her definition of donkey. I wonder if she thought this would be novel information to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think she thought I didn't know what the word was in Russian, so I'd be reading "men are inclined to be obstinate like ....uhgngngn...." and so she made it easy for me. This is often what she would do when I didn't understand something in Russia, she'd go into a lengthy explanation. Sometimes I knew the word but I pretended I didn't to hear her describe it. You should've heard the Chernobyl discussion....I never thought I'd hear the phrase "the core had reached critical mass" and understand it. It was a big day.

    ReplyDelete