Sunday, April 24, 2011

Cat Food whaaat

After I saw those weird, psychedelic Friskies commercials I didn't think I could possibly feel weirder about cat food

Until I read this article about the marketing campaign. Apparently Friskies was hoping to reach out to cat owners who are really, realllly into the experience of feeding their cat. And I quote:

" "Feeding wet," as Schlueter calls it, can for some owners be a highly ritualized and intimate pet interaction... This is a time for cats and owners to bond over a heap of moist, processed meat. And, according to Schlueter, many owners like to imagine what their cats are feeling and thinking during these moments of culinary ecstasy. This trippy ad, which is for wet food, is meant to capture the altered consciousness of the cat—the sensually heightened bliss it derives from chewing on a pile of damp Friskies."

Disgusting. So after I read that I thought, no, things cannot possibly get more bizarre.
Then I saw this "commercial" (although it's more of a short film):



WHAAAAAT. What was that? I looked it up and found it on youtube and watched it again. Then I called Ryan in the room and made him watch it. I tried to think of what Fancy Feast was up to... what is the point of that? Who are they marketing to?

And then I realized they are marketing to ME. Women cat lovers, in the 20 to mid 30's range, most likely educated young professional women of the marriageable age who are seeing their friends settle down and who long for the same. This woman looks like someone I could know and who is probably a little bit older than me. But she could be ME. She met a man who loves her so much that he noticed that she loves cats (Ryan said if I invited him over to meet my parents for the first time and then spent the whole evening playing with a cat that this most likely would be a deal breaker for him. But obviously this young commercial man finds it endearing), or more specifically ugly fluffy white cats with smooshed in faces who will deposit their very, very long fur on every item of clothing you own so you will need to at all times have a sticky hair roller in your purse, and a back-up in your car so you won't trail long, white cat hair everywhere you go, whether it be the doctor's office or a very important interview. But I digress...

Of course then comes the transformation of the bachelor pad into a little kitty paradise, the PROPOSAL (I also suggested to Ryan that he might want to take note of that. From the look he gave me, I'm guessing my suggestion was not noted), the very subtle but effective view of the rInG!!!!@!@!@! And of course everything in boxes, moving, starting your life together, just you, your honey and your little kitty cat. And feed that little surrogate child some fancy feast IF, of course, you truly love your cat. Because here comes the punch-line, "the best ingredient is love." Of course if you really loved your cat you would feed them wet food only sparingly, since it causes their little kitty kidneys to malfunction and eventually kill them. Or so the vet said.

Anyways- creepy to realize you are being pandered to and sought after. In a cat food commercial. Fancy feast wants me...

6 comments:

  1. I wonder who did the music for the first commercial? It sounds like so much awful generic psychedelic indie pop I've heard before. What a fantastic career move. I want my band to be associated with hallucinogenic cat chow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd definitely sell out for a cat food commercial.... if they offered me a million dollars. Okay let's be reasonable... 50,000 dollars. Hell 20 thousand. I'm desperate enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. but Anna this band did a great job... sometimes I'll find myself singing the first few words to myself: "what if one little pop could open a world of wonder..." like in the shower, or doing dishes. This could all be because my life is very empty and lonely

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha. I think we could come up with something catchier. Instead of pursuing a career making children's songs about stew, we should produce songs exclusively for cat (and if we feel like broadening our horizons a little, dog) chow commercials. that way we can really, ya know, reach people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. let's do a thrash metal/screamo version. it'll tap into the "alternative" cat owners who hate how prissy cat food commercials are. the lyrics will also be really up front, like "SLINGING CAT FOOOOOD FUCKIN CAT FOOOOD BUY IT OR YOUR CAT WILL DIEEEEEEEEEEEE"

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're brilliant! Let's do it!

    ReplyDelete