Friday, April 22, 2011

I have to cook now

That's what sucks about being an "adult" and living on your own and shit.

I have to cook. EVERY DAY. Unless I want to live on coffee (I view even this as a cooking ordeal. Ryan bought a coffee pot and I swear the thing hates me. It doesn't recognize me as its master and therefore feels free to fuck up my coffee or just somehow malfunction and drip coffee grounds all over the counter. And it hisses at me like a cockroach) and cereal all day every day I have to COOK. For the first two weeks in our apartment Ryan and I (scratch that. just me) were really excited about cooking. I looked up recipes and tried to master techniques. Well now we're in week three and I'm definitely over it.

Last night I made a meatloaf. It's my mom's recipe and it's delicious if you're into meatloaf. I made it for Ryan before he returned to the good ol' South and he loved it. So I made it again, but this time just for me. Now I'm eating meatloaf for the next five days, which is fine because now I don't have to cook for five days. But kind of gross too.

Another thing about being "ADULT" (yeah right) is I go bonkers now if any of the food goes bad because I spent my money on it so now it matters if money is being wasted. So I was going through the fridge making sure all the food was being consumed and I found some two week old carrots. I'm thinking shit, now I have to eat like 8 raw carrots because it's NOT getting wasted. Then I looked at the meatloaf and you knowwww what I put carrots in the meatloaf. Sounds insane but didn't really notice them. It's like those dumb Chef Boyardee commercials about the secret vegetables in that god awful ravioli.


It's always good to teach children early on that vegetables are gross. And ravioli is the only thing you will ever need in your life. Also- don't pay attention to food labels. Just eat it. I think that's a lesson for the masses.

One thing I will say (until I retract it)- making my own salad dressing from now on (until I'm tired and like nope). For some reason the salad dressing I bought at the store has been making me gag lately. I just hate it. But I have to eat it because I BOUGHT IT. Vicious cycle. But I found a dressing recipe online and I could eat this all day long. It's delicious. I got this from The Reluctant Gourmet

Ingredients:

1 glove of garlic, smashed
2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
5-6 tablespoons oil (vegetable, corn, canola, olive or some combination)
pinch of dried parsley
pinch of dried thyme
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Add the vinegar, garlic, and mustard well. Slowly add the oil while whisking the mixture. Add the herbs and salt and pepper and season to your tastes. I used olive oil and a nice spicy Dijon mustard. Don't make it if you hate mustard, obviously. DELISSHHH.

UPDATE: Ewwwww I just watched that commercial again and how gross is "micro-beef (ravioli)"? Call it lil' bites or something. ANYTHING ELSE

4 comments:

  1. Hey Emma.
    Get a french press.
    TRUST Me.

    Also If you are really adventurous,...
    Next time you are in town, come to my house and I will teach you how to roast your own coffee.

    Also, Home-made is far superior,
    but if you ever want a tasty pre-made dressing.
    I highly recommend the goddess.
    http://www.anniesnaturals.com/organic_dressings#jump177

    I hope you are doing well.
    Where-abouts are you these days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I could never convince Derek to eat meatloaf...I always want to make it because it was a staple in my childhood diet, but the thought alone makes him gag (which I really don't understand, because he'll eat hamburgers and such) so now I've tried to find things that I can make that will last in the fridge for a few days and still be just as delicious (enchiladas and lasagne being my two favourites). As for your coffee maker, that's a huuuuge bummer. That's what my old one would do to me until Derek bought me my fancy new Keurig and now I don't have that problem any more. Maybe you could ask for one for Christmas or some other such occasion, or maybe you can just bug Ryan until he buys it for you (I had to bug Derek for like 6 months leading up to my birthday). Anyway, I'm glad you started to use this more because I miss you a ton and I like to know about your adventures. :) I hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany- I've had french press coffee and considered getting one but I'm a huge "bad news" consumer and read an article once somewhere on the internet about how drinking french press coffee raises levels of bad cholesterol. Or something. Don't really remember. Still, it left FRENCH PRESS= YOU DIE imprinted in my brain. But maybe I'll just try it anyways. It was probably some bullshit. I usually just make coffee by the cup but it gets annoying since I'm now usually drinking 2 cups a day. And as for my whereabouts I now live in Colorado, in a suburb outside of Denver. It's awesome!

    Rachel- You should just make this recipe and be like derek shush. Because it's great. Even Ryan was skeptical because he had a bad meatloaf experience as a child. But this one is really good- very moist and tasty. I'll send you the recipe sometime if you like. And I have always wanted one of those type of machines. My friend had a Senseo in college and I loved it, so I'll have to start bugging Ryan about it asap :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dug the cappuccino maker I got for Christmas years ago out of the attic. I have only used it once though, because to this day, you are the only person who has been able to make it work. Maybe you are just the only person who bothered to read the directions, but I was certain that you had the ability to beat all coffee making implements into submission. You have the power, Emma Logdah, I know you do. Use it.

    ReplyDelete